Friday, April 8, 2011

Fly a Kite

It has been so windy this week so on a whim, I decided to make kites with the kids this afternoon. I found a template online and drew something similar on construction paper for the kids (think Superman).
Next I let the twins cut out the shapes and decorate their kites. Since this was on a whim, I just grabbed whatever I had around the house so that meant we used Valentine's day ribbon for the tails, although crepe paper would be great too.
After we decorated and added our tail, I then folded the kite in half, then folded the flaps in too. You are just getting a good crease. Next I tied the corners with a string and then added our guide string (yarn would also work).
The kids LOVED making these and had a blast running around the yard with their kites. Of course today wasn't as windy as the past few days, but there was still enough to get those kites up.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fun for my girls! They can't cut well yet, but they can decorate and I know they'd love running around with the kites. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete