Saturday, March 5, 2011

Free Form Art

So, last night while I was trying to make pizza dough, my trio came in from the beautiful outdoors and asked to do something with glue. Hmmm, my hands were sticky and I needed to knead the dough so I quickly pulled out some random art supplies and let the kids make collages. I don't plan too much with crafts, I'm more of a "go-with-it" mom, although I do try to plan out some seasonal crafts. They had a blast and you can teach so much with collages. You can do themes, colors, hard/soft, etc. This time around we did Free Art and I just put out some colored feathers, pipe cleaners, and tissue paper. Some of the pipe cleaners we twisted around our fingers to create little springs, giving our collages a 3D effect. J got really into the tissue paper and loved tearing it, A couldn't get enough of the glue, lol and L was just experimenting with the stickiness of the glue. The whole thing lasted maybe 20 minutes, but it was so worth it. My kids (and I think all kids really) love doing things with their hands so that 20 minute break to make collages did wonders for their moods. After it was done, they happily ran back outside and played till dinner. And we now have three original art pieces for Daddy to take to his office or we can save and turn into a birthday card for a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment