Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Our first garden!

Since we are trying to be healthier and do more "real food", I really wanted to start growing some of our own food. I knew the kids would love it, but I was a bit nervous taking on a garden. I have a nice 4' x 8' plot picked out on our lot, but I've never had a garden. Who knew if I'd even have a green thumb. A month or so ago, I saw a free clinic advertised on Vegetables in Containers, at our local Calloways and I thought it was a perfect intro for my garden. This past weekend I attended the clinic and loved it. Afterwards, I quickly planned out 3 container gardens the kids and I could easily do for spring and grabbed some plants. I really wanted to do seeds, but they said it was already too late in the season to start your own seeds. Good to know for next year.
This afternoon the kids and I got started. The twins were beyond excited. L had fun the first 2 minutes then was off playing in the yard.













First step - add rocks in the bottom for drainage




Next, add organic POTTING soil (make sure you get potting soil and not garden soil or you will burn your plants)

Then add your plants. We have 3 themed pots
1) Salad - lettuce, 2 spring mix, basil
2) Salsa - roma tomato, mexican oregano, 2 cilantro
3) Pizza - roma tomato, bell pepper, rosemary, basil, italian oregano


















Viola! Our garden is done. I know we will not yield an over abundance of herbs and vegetables this year, but hopefully it will give me the confidence to get a real garden going this fall.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah - I am also going to do this - great idea to do it in pots. I tried it last year but didn't take good enough care of them, so I will do it again this year!

    :) good luck!

    I love the "themed" pots idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so much easier than the garden I did which was about 5x3 and turned into a big weed fest! Hope your garden grows good pizza :) (that's a neat idea to group 'em together)

    ReplyDelete