Thursday, March 24, 2011

Now is the time to Stop the Wasps

The kids and I were out playing this morning and I noticed a wasp scouting out our swingset so I quickly jumped up and grabbed a paper bag, blew some air into it and tied it up on our swingset to keep them away. When we were in Canada last summer we noticed people had these bags up everywhere. We finally stopped someone and asked what they were for and he said the wasps. If you set it up BEFORE they move in they will not build a nest in that area. How cool is that! Apparently, wasps are very terratorial and if there's is already a nest in the area, they'll move on. I have one more place on the side of the house I want to put a bag (we had wasps there a few years ago), but hubby will have to tackle that with a ladder this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! We used to put ziplock baggies up full of water around the porch when we were planning a backyard picnic. It'd keep the flies away. Something about the shimmering water in the sun bothered their eyes. I didn't know about the brown bag trick though, good to know!

    ReplyDelete