Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Little Green Treat for St. Patty's Day!



My twins LOVE smoothies and their favorite one is actually a green smoothie. Here's a fun, yummy, healthy way to celebrate St. Patty's Day.


Green Smoothie/Popsicle

  • handful of spinach or kale
  • 2 handfuls of mango or other mixed fruits (I keep a huge bag of frozen fruit on hand just for this, it comes with mango, pineapple, peaches and strawberries)
  • 1 apple (I leave the peel on)
  • 1 banana
  • 2 large spoonfuls of plain yogurt (low pasteurized or homemade with raw milk)
  • Splash of fresh orange juice (juice from 1-2 oranges is enough)

Mix together in a blender and serve immediately or pour into popsicle molds and freeze. My kids love the popsicles for breakfast and think they have the best mom in the world for letting them eat green popsicles for breakfast. This recipe is so versatile too - I routinely use whatever fruit I have on hand, watermelon is fantastic (although your green starts to turn to brown :-). I really don't think you can mess this up. Just mix whatever you have on hand, taste it and if you think it's a little tart, add a sweet fruit like banana or if it's too sweet add something a little tart to balance it out. Super easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment